My first scare
Had my first scare yesterday. I was sitting on the sofa when I suddenly felt a terrible pain in my lower belly. It was almost unbearable and I thought I was either going to pass out or throw up. Thankfully, neither happened and after a few seconds the pain started to go away. I thought it was just a bad muscle cramp but I was frightened and wanted to rule out anything more serious. If it was a muscle cramp, it was the worst one I've ever experienced.
I called NHS Direct and they recommended I call my Labour Ward, so I did. They asked me to come in to be checked out. I had a scare when I was pregnant with Tobes and had to go to the delivery ward. It was the middle of the night and J grabbed his wallet and we were out the door within minutes. Bit different this time. It was about 5.30 and J was working late so I had to consider Tobes. In the end I rang J and he said he would come home. So Toby finished his dinner then we drove to the train station to pick up J and J drove me to the hospital. They dropped me off at the door and J took Toby home to get ready for bed.
Very strange to be in the hospital on my own. If I had thought anything was seriously wrong I would've asked J to stay with me. He wanted to stay anyway but I knew Toby was tired and it would be hard on all of us to have him there. I went prepared with a book, a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate. I know these things can take time and I wouldn't be a priority compared to the women who were actually in labour.
I was examined, they listened to Cupcake's heartbeat, took a urine sample and decided it probably was just a muscle spasm and I was sent home with orders to take a blood test this morning and see the midwife on Monday. I think in the end they were more interested in Cupcake's size and they're checking me for signs of gestational diabetes. I really don't think I have it. I just seem to have big babies. I went through the same thing with Toby. In fact, it was like deja vu. Everyone who examined me said with surprise 'How many weeks are you?! You've got a big baby!' and my uterus measured about two weeks ahead in size, same as with Tobes.
So, we're fine. Just being careful. I did my blood test this morning and will get the results on Monday. I really think everything is OK though.
I called NHS Direct and they recommended I call my Labour Ward, so I did. They asked me to come in to be checked out. I had a scare when I was pregnant with Tobes and had to go to the delivery ward. It was the middle of the night and J grabbed his wallet and we were out the door within minutes. Bit different this time. It was about 5.30 and J was working late so I had to consider Tobes. In the end I rang J and he said he would come home. So Toby finished his dinner then we drove to the train station to pick up J and J drove me to the hospital. They dropped me off at the door and J took Toby home to get ready for bed.
Very strange to be in the hospital on my own. If I had thought anything was seriously wrong I would've asked J to stay with me. He wanted to stay anyway but I knew Toby was tired and it would be hard on all of us to have him there. I went prepared with a book, a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate. I know these things can take time and I wouldn't be a priority compared to the women who were actually in labour.
I was examined, they listened to Cupcake's heartbeat, took a urine sample and decided it probably was just a muscle spasm and I was sent home with orders to take a blood test this morning and see the midwife on Monday. I think in the end they were more interested in Cupcake's size and they're checking me for signs of gestational diabetes. I really don't think I have it. I just seem to have big babies. I went through the same thing with Toby. In fact, it was like deja vu. Everyone who examined me said with surprise 'How many weeks are you?! You've got a big baby!' and my uterus measured about two weeks ahead in size, same as with Tobes.
So, we're fine. Just being careful. I did my blood test this morning and will get the results on Monday. I really think everything is OK though.

1 Comments:
At 6:50 pm,
Nikki B said…
I really wish you had kept a blog of the pregnancy with Tobes so you could compare the two. I'm amazed at the difference between them. Not really the actual pregnancy, but the difference in you guys. Ya'll are so laid back now about everything! Crazy.
Post a Comment
<< Home